The original Sharps rifle, patented in 1848 by Christian Sharps, was loaded with a linen cartridge and percussion primer. The sturdy action of Sharps rifles made them faster and easier to load than conventional muzzleloaders. In 1859, the U.S. Navy placed the first military order for 900 of the single shot rifles. That same year, John Brown’s raiders carried Sharps carbines at Harper’s Ferry. And when the Civil War began, carbine versions were ordered for the cavalry.
After the war, the American Rifle Team used Sharps rifles, adapted to fire metallic cartridges, to win the first international long-range rifle match. In 1874, after 700 Comanche warriors attacked 30 buffalo hunters in the Texas panhandle, the hunters used their Sharps rifles to exact a punishing toll. By the early 1880s, the long-range models had become the favorites of professional buffalo hunters because of their long-range capability.
Chambered in classic .45-70, all 1874 Sharps-replica Uberti rifles are true to the originals. The hand-engraved Sharps Extra Deluxe, previously available only through select World Class Collection™ dealers, is now available through all Uberti dealers.
Number of Grooves: 6 Twist: Right Frame: Case-hardened (except Extra Deluxe) Trigger: Double-set (except Cavalry)
Levers and Buttplates: Case-hardened
Denotes tang-mounted Creedmore sight and pewter fore-end cap Other Lengths: 46.9″, 48.9″, 50.9″
Weights: 10.25-11 lbs.